Do you have difficulties with beginning your college essays? Are you sitting for several hours with your computer screen blank and not knowing where to start? Stop torturing yourself and look through this quick guide on how to start a college essay. These effective steps will help you overcome the writer’s block and make your essays flawless and just perfect.
How to start a college essay: your main goals
The opening paragraph plays a crucial role in all college essays. When you want to begin college essays, your main goals are:
- attract your readers’ attention;
- introduce the readers to the main ideas you are going to present;
- provide a thesis statement (a concise summary of your essay in just one sentence).
Remember that all readers judge too quickly. A poor introductory paragraph will spoil the readers’ impression of the entire paper. For this reason, you should put your heart and soul into the introduction part to ensure the success of your essays.
How to start a college essay: best steps
Now you perhaps wonder how to begin college essays. It is a good question to ask. Here are the best steps that can become the perfect start to a perfect paper:
- Check the guidelines provided by instructors. Never start writing a college essay before you fully understand the task and requirements.
- Choose a good topic for your paper. Make it narrow and manageable. If you need to write an admission essay, you should choose story lines, personal experiences, qualities or motivations you are going to discuss.
- Collect the necessary materials. Review the relevant literature if necessary.
- Brainstorm the chosen topic. Develop as many ideas as you can and write them down. Do not think about the quality of these ideas now. Think about their quality later.
- Plan your essay. Create a detailed outline. Include a thesis statement as part of your outline.
- Now you are welcome to extend your outline and write a high quality essay.
How to start a college essay: truly good ideas
Even after taking the above-mentioned steps, you may have problems with writing the first few sentences of your introductory paragraphs. Here are some good ideas for you:
- start with a relevant quotation;
- include a joke;
- ask a rhetorical question;
- include striking statistical data.
How to start a college essay: strategies to avoid
Here are the common mistakes you should avoid when you start writing a college essay:
- providing too much or too general background information (e.g. do not start with “Let me introduce myself…” or “Shakespeare is the greatest poet of all times”. Instead, write about the experiences you are going to discuss or introduce a specific poem by Shakespeare);
- getting straight to the point, without grabbing the readers’ interest (prepare your readers for what you are going to discuss, and make certain that the points you make do not come to them like a bolt from the blue);
- do not start too far from the main ideas of your paper (make certain that the transition between the introductory sentences and your thesis statement is smooth).
So, this was all you needed to know on how to start a great college essay. By using this quick guide, you will be able to write good introductory paragraphs and A+ essays.